So, what is WordPress? It is a free and open source blogging tool and content management system or CMS that is powered by PHP and MySQL.
What’s a theme? Themes allow users to change the look and functionality of a WordPress website without altering the informational content.
What’s a plugin? Plugins allow users and developers to extend its websites functionality beyond the features that come as part of the base WordPress install.
What’s a widget? Widgets offer users drag and drop sidebar content placement and implementation of many plugins extended capabilities.
Now that we know the basics of WordPress terms, let’s take a look at some cool facts about WordPress.
1. 308 million people view more than 2.5 billion pages each month.
This is good news for anyone thinking about using WordPress as a platform for their products and services. This means that there’s plenty of traffic to go around in this type of site.
2. WordPress was born in 2003.
In 2004, version 1.2 of wordpress supported plugins, and in 2005 it supported themes, and in 2007 wordpress surpassed 1 million users, and finally in 2010, wordpress surpassed 11 million users.
3. The most popular wordpress plugin is the all in one seo pack with over 9 million downloads
Second most popular plugin is Google XML sitemaps, then contact form 7.
4. WordPress is currently the most popular CMS in use on the internet
22% of all new websites are powered by wordpress.
5. Commercial themes are available for purchase from different providers such as themeforest elegantthmes, woothemes, and studiopress.
So, if you’re looking to give your site a whole new look, try your luck with these.